Writing Isn't About

Writing isn't about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it's about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It's about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy.
- Stephen King, On Writing

You know what? I love to write. I really do. There are days when I feel I'm pretty good at it and days when I'm quite convinced I stink at the craft. And then, every once in a while, there are days when the words audition for me and I say, "yes, you've got the part" and something special happens on the page or the screen. I've got an agent working on my behalf these days; we're hoping to catch the eye of some publisher and stake a claim on the shelves of bookstores everywhere.

As for those words from Mr. King, I do truly hope to enrich the lives of people who read my words. I wouldn't mind making some money, as there are a few things I'd like to do for my girlfriend and our three kids. They deserve so much more than I've been able to provide. I wouldn't do very well at being famous; I have a tendency to blush quite easily. Getting dates and getting laid? Oh, I'm tempted like any other man who's honest, but mercy, there's no need to spit on my life. I'd really like to be able to draw my last breath having been faithful to the wife of my youth. As to making friends, I've got a handful now that are like fine wine. If I started having too many friends, they'd probably start asking me for money or wonder why I blush so easily or they'd want to take me on a date and lay me. I don't do well in crowds anyway.

No, I hope your life is enriched, somehow, by visiting this blog from time to time. I hope you're encouraged, reminded, and challenged. I do hope you laugh a little and cry a little. I hope the words here help you get up and get well and get over. Shucks, maybe even get happy. I know they're having that effect on me.

On second thought, I might be willing to try being famous. I do like those red shoes the Pope wears. They'd go well with my blush.

The thing is to do what you love, right? Follow your bliss? I love to write. I really do.

2 comments:

  1. ...and it shows!

    ...so when do I get to watch you blush some time?

    ...what color of red shoes do you want, your writerlyness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've always been and always will be my favorite writer!

    -M

    ReplyDelete