Part Three - Thursday

When Peter was down in the courtyard one of the high priest's maids came and seeing Peter warming himself she looked at him and said "You were with the Nazarene Jesus."
But he denied it saying "I don't know him or understand what you're saying." Then he went out into the porch and the cock crowed.
Seeing him the maid began again to say to those standing round "This man is one of them."
But again he denied it.
After a little again those standing round said to Peter "Surely you're one of them. It's plain you're a Galilean."
He began to curse himself and swear "I don't know this man you mention." At once a second time a cock crowed and Peter remembered the word Jesus said to him "Before the cock crows twice you'll deny me three times" and dwelling on that he wept.
- Mark's gospel

"Oh yes, you were with him, the Grand Nazarene."
Oh surely, but surely, just what do you mean?
"The Grand Nazarene, the man that's on trial."
All I know little maid is my word of denial.

And he crowed and he crowed and blew his house down.
It rang through the ears of those standing round.

"But you're Galilean, its plain to our eyes."
Their insistence caught Peter just slightly surprised.
I'll be damned if I know this man that you mention;
to hell with these questions and all of this tension.


And he crowed and he crowed and blew his house down.
It rang through the ears of those standing round.

"Before he crows twice, you'll deny me three times."
He remembered Christ's meter, the Nazarene's rhyme.
So Peter, he crumpled. The city, it slept.
The children, still dreaming. The coward, he wept.

And he crowed and he crowed and blew his house down.
It tore through the heart of the clump on the ground.

2 comments:

  1. you're ripping me apart these days...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rich. Love it.

    ReplyDelete