Gifts of the Magi

I had appointments yesterday with three authors; some brainstorming regarding book ideas. As I drove away from the last meeting, the sensation was strong that the time spent with them was about much more than books. They brought gifts with them from afar...

Wise-man #1 reminded me how important it is to have like-minded people around you. This is not assembling a bunch of folks who think exactly the way you do; rather, it's working with and being with people who hold a certain common ground of soul. We can waste an inordinate amount of time in relationships and projects due to the reality that the like-minded aspect is missing. This was a golden gift.

Wise-man #2 reminded me of the importance of narrative. He works with students and is always watching, especially in group settings, for what keeps their heads up and alert and what causes them to immediately look for something else to do. He said, "If somebody's telling a story...they've got 'em." 'Once upon a time" still has this pied-piper power on us all. This gift had the aroma of frankincense.

Wise-man #3 reminded me that staying true to your own Jesus path will inevitably bring you into conflict with other people. We want to believe that listening to the voice of Christ will bring about a big group of folks, holding hands and humming "we shall overcome"...I'm not so sure. It's amazing how many times the phrase "and a division arose because of him" surfaces in the gospels. Listening to and then following the whispers of Jesus is not for the faint of heart - "men will hate you...and throw you out of the synagogue." A myrrh-like gift, this was.

These older souls, wise-men, postmodern magi, brought these gifts to me. I wasn't the christ-child or anything; however, I did feel like a child while with them. And I watched as "they departed into their own country another way"...

2 comments:

  1. ...glad to be connected in here, as well. Would grant permission to add you to my list of blogs I value?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Velveteen Rabbit", "Gifts of the Magi"... Oh, my, two of my favorites--and with that, I've found a new blog to add to my Bloglines. And trust me, I do NOT need another.

    But when "another" comes along that resonates with my heart in an instant? How can I not bring you in?

    Here from Steve's blog (who doesn't even know me himself...originally from Lisa Samson). I'm blogging at TypePad now, but my sign in here is with my (former) Blogger ID.

    Lovely series of posts...wish I had more time to savor the words :).

    http://pensieve.typepad.com/pensieve/

    ReplyDelete