Passion Wednesday

There were women too at a distance watching among whom were both Mary the Magdalene, Mary the mother of the younger James and mother of Joses, and Salome who followed him when he was in Galilee and served him and many others who had come up with him to Jerusalem.
- Mark's gospel

He was the son they all wished to watch grow. He was the husband they all wished to have held them. He was the father they all wished to kiss them goodnight. He was the friend they all wished to spend a lifetime with. Everything these distanced-women longed for, he was. Every desire of their hearts, both surface and deep, was wrapped up in him and now he was a bloody butterfly pinned on the world's page for all to see. The color drained from his wings. He would fly no more.

One by one, their voices whimper the four verses of grief's watching song:
Oh, my son.

Oh, my love.

Oh, my abba.

Oh, my Jesus.


And then, in unison, a slight refrain:
Oh, my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment