Moth-God

like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us - Psalm 39.12, Book of Common Prayer

I've heard God described in simile all my life, but I cannot remember anyone ever preaching or teaching that God is like a moth. This verse saw me the other morning in my daily readings. And I saw it.

It's kind of a strange image, isn't it? The God of the universe slowly, methodically nibbling away all that is dear to us. And to top it off, the psalmist didn't say "all that is sinful in our lives" or "all that has eyes but don't see, ears but don't hear" - no, he said "all that is dear to us.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observation, John. I can understand "all that is dear to me" as those things that become too dear to me block out the One who is to be my first love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...what else is looking at you?

    ReplyDelete